As restrictions have lifted and holidays are planned, look after your teeth this summer with our five top tips!
1. Ensure you maintain regular check-ups with your dentist and hygienist, as often as they recommend, and don't ignore any problems before going on holiday. Having a routine check up or deep clean will keep your smile healthy over the summer, and prompt treatment for any problems will prevent an emergency trip to the dentists!
2. Brush at least twice a day for two minutes using toothpaste containing ≥1450ppm fluoride to help protect teeth from cavities, and use dental floss or interdental brushes to remove sticky plaque from in between your teeth. Supervise young children when brushing their teeth to ensure they are not missing out any areas!
3. Eat healthily, as snacking has increased during the pandemic! You can have a holiday ice cream, but keeping snacks as a treat or at meal times will help reduce the amount of sugar your teeth are exposed to throughout the day. Keep hydrated with water as fizzy drinks can be very damaging to teeth enamel, even the sugar-free versions!
4. Be mindful of teeth grinding or using your teeth to cut tape or open packets of crisps! A mouthguard can protect your teeth if grinding, and scissors are better than teeth for cutting!
5. As a lack of vitamin D can affect your teeth, what better excuse to get outside, but don't forget the sun cream! Use a cream with an SPF of at least 30 and 4-star UVA protection, and avoid the heat of the day.
Elmsleigh House Dental Clinic continues to work with rigorous infection control protocols in place to protect patients and team.